Thursday, February 20, 2014

IVF Cycle: Weeks 1-2

January 8, 2014

Well it finally happened! I finally got the call from Tonya at Utah Fertility Center saying  that Genesis Genetics had our DNA test done and we have the go ahead to start my cycle. I have an appointment set up next Tuesday to go over my calendar and how the next month is going to go! I really can't believe that it's hear. There has been so much anticipation for this to start and now it's finally happening. I. CAN'T. WAIT.

January 15, 2014

Today Tonya and I went over my calendar. Let's just say... it was a little overwhelming. I am so glad that I have friends that have been through this that can answer questions if I get confused. And of course Utah Fertility is always awesome to get back to me when I have even the smallest or dumbest of questions. I start taking baby aspirin next Sunday the 19th  on top of my regular birth control and prenatal vitamins. Then on Friday the 24th I will have my first Lupron injection (Keeps me from ovulating too early). I watched the training video on how to do it... and let's just holy scared. Good thing this is for a baby... otherwise, I can't say I would be able to do it.


 
January 24th, 2014

Today was my first day of injections. My original plan was to have Kenny do all the injections for me. I HATE needles. If I ever have to have shots I always look the other direction. For some reason not seeing the needle makes it hurt less? I don't know... but I found out yesterday I was going to be on my own for the first shot. For some reason the pharmacy didn't receive the order from Utah Fertility for my medication. It's a long story, but medications should have arrived Thursday, but they didn't until Friday morning early. Kenny had to travel up to St. George for work and so wasn't around when my medications arrived. My first Lupron injection was supposed to be in the morning, so I really had no option but to do it myself. The package arrived at about 9 am and was WAY bigger than I thought it would be. I unpacked everything and made sure that what was listed was actually in the box. It took awhile. Since Kas is in Texas with his Mom till March, I set up a table in his room and set up all the medications...


 
Then it was time... I watched the instructional video over and over again trying to mentally prep myself to do it. I got out the Lupron medications... followed all of the steps to prep. The needle that came with the Lupron is SO much smaller than the video so I thought I was good to go. But then when it came time to stick the needle... I froze. I kept getting right to the skin, then I'd stop. I did this for about 5 minutes before I decided to call in cheerleaders. I called my house to get a little pep talk from my nurse Mom since Kenny wasn't available...  my cute Dad answered. I told him I was freaking out a little... My Dad being the straightforward patient man he is just simply said, "Well I'm here, I'll just wait while you do it." Haha. So while he sat there in silence waiting.. I did it! By myself! And guess what? It didn't hurt at all! Such a build up for nothing.


After I did my shot, I sat and talked with my Dad for a good hour. He is always the greatest comfort and has the best advice when I get nervous. I have a tendency to overthink things and he always helps me to have a more positive and realistic perspective on things. I had a moment the other night where it hit me hard that from this moment on nothing will be the same. Whether this IVF cycle is successful or not... our lives will change from this point on. It'll either change because we get pregnant and get to expand our family OR  we don't and have to move on to plan B... whatever that is. To be honest I'm terrified. The potential of having this fail. I try to keep that thought out of my head... but I can't help it. It's there, because it CAN happen. This is something Kenny and I have DREAMED of and FOUGHT so hard for and now our opportunity is here. We finally have the opportunity to start a family.

My Dad assured me that my concerns were legitimate. However, he also pointed out that what is best for me and what is best for my family WILL happen. Heavenly Father has a plan. That plan is what he knows is best for me. I look back at moments in my life where I didn't think what was happening was fair and right... but after making it through them I saw the bigger picture and I came out stronger than before. Without those hard moments I wouldn't be in this spot in my life with the amazing husband I have by my side. All of the pieces have fallen into place for us to get to this point, and there is one thing for sure... Heavenly Father is the reason for ALL of it. This journey is going to be a little scary, but we've made it here. All I can do now is trust fully in God and pray that a little miracle is in our future. I am SO looking forward to see what is in store for us.



Tonight for our date night Kenny and I went Color Me Mind. Kenny picked out a monster truck for Kas to keep his money in and I picked out a piggy bank to paint for future baby. I ended up going girly with my colors so if we get pregnant with a boy I'll have to come back and do another one... Expecting Miracles!

1 comment:

  1. Emily I'm so glad you are posting this. I've been thinking about you and will be praying for you, hoping for your miracle. We aren't at the IVF stage quite, yet but in a years time I might be. Hugs, prayers and hope coming your way!

    ReplyDelete