Thursday, February 20, 2014

IVF Cycle: Utah - Days Leading Up to Retrieval

February 14, 2014

This morning Kenny and I got up at 3:45 am to get ready and head up to St. George for my 8am ultrasound with Dr. Foulk. Today we found out how many follicles my body is producing. I got a call on Wednesday that I needed to increase my Bravelle medication because my estrogen levels were a little low. That made me nervous for the ultrasound this morning. We got there and the girl doing my ultrasound was having a difficult time finding my left ovary, so Dr. Foulk came in. He counted 6-10 follicles on one side and only 4 on the other. Each follicle equals one egg. The number was a little lower than he wanted to see, but still felt like we could move forward with egg retrieval for Tuesday. After I left his office I started googling (HUGE mistake) and found that the number of follicles was low for a successful cycle. I panicked and started to stress that maybe my cycle would be canceled. We text our family and asked for all the prayers and good vibes that they could send.

Luckily once we arrived in Salt Lake we had plenty of fun things to distract us. We picked up my adorable niece Alex from BYU and met my Mom up at my sisters house. Then we all met my nephew Trace and his wife Katelin, Joshy, and Ashton for a fun Valentine's date getting pizza. Then we came home and played  "Clue" with our own version of candlelight (AKA the flashlight on our phones under a water bottle). It made the game so much more intense, haha. It was a really fun night and really helped me to take my mind off of the not so great news from earlier.


February 15, 2014

This morning I woke up so incredibly nervous for my ultrasound. I quickly remembered how low my numbers were the day before and was having a breakdown. We had a family prayer with my Mom, niece, and nephew. Then after they left, Kenny gave me a blessing. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for a husband that holds the priesthood. That blessing helped me to calm down and remind me that it is all in Heavenly Father's hands and it WILL work out. We went to Utah Fertility Center for my ultrasound today and got some great news. I had 9 follicles where there had been 6 and 11 follicles where there had been 4.... 20 TOTAL. Kenny and I couldn't believe it! I fully believe my family has powerful prayers, because it literally changed over night. We left so relieved and were actually able to enjoy the rest of the weekend feeling a little less stressed. After the appointment we headed over to watch my nephew Josh in his lacrosse tournament. Then we headed over to get manicure/pedicures and my friend Michelle was able to come with us! It was SO nice to see her and have some time to chat. We text all day every day, but it's just not the same as actually being able to hang out. I wish that girl lived in Vegas again!


Me and Alex rocked the flip flops from our mani/pedi's out to dinner.
 
(Kenny broke one of my shoes so I
had to go without one for a few minutes)
 
February 16, 2014
 
Today I went in for my last ultrasound before retreival. Every thing was looking good and they called me later in the day to let me know that we could go ahead and do our trigger shot. It needed to be done at 9pm that night so we could go in for retrieval at 9am Tuesday morning. I honestly can't tell you how excited I was to have this shot be my last one for awhile until we get ready for the transfer! I know that the progesterone shots I'm going to have to do are the worst of all, but at least I get a break from being a human pin cushion for a bit.
 
 
February 17, 2014
 
This morning when I woke up I had to take a HCG test to make sure that the HCG was doing it's job. It definitely was! I have to be honest... even though I'm obviously not pregnant yet. It is refreshing to take a pregnancy test and see a "positive" sign for once. It's not something I'm used to.
 
 
Since my birthday is tomorrow and I will probably be recovering from the retrieval, Kenny decided to celebrate today! I woke up to a wonderful happy birthday song from my funny hubs! Kenny gave me his present a few days before so we could take pics while were in Utah of this whole process. I am SO excited about this gift! I got into photography in high school and have really wanted to start back into it, but the nice camera I have is film (SO old School). I am SO excited to get back into it.
 
 
Then my Mama gave me a care package full of chocolate, lotions, chapstick, etc. and some adorable bracelets from Alex&Ani. They are PERFECT for what is going on in my life right now. I am so proud to be a daughter, step-mom to Kas and the hope represents my hope to have a baby of my own.  I am SO grateful that she made the trip out to Utah to be with us this weekend! I can't tell you how much it means to have your Mama there when you're going through an emotional rollercoaster. I am so lucky to have my Mom as a best friend.
 
 

 My sister, Kris and brother-in-law Jim got back from their trip to Hawaii today, so we all went out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse (Drooling even thinking about the rolls, YUM!). Then we came home and had cupcakes and watched the Bachelor (Anyone else so sick of Claire on Juan Pablo's season?! Haha)! It really was the perfect day and I feel so grateful that I got to celebrate 28 years with my amazing family!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment