Monday, May 13, 2013

Timing

There's so many more stories I have to tell about Kenny and I... but one of the most important stories is how Kenny's family was always meant to be my family someday. It's a pretty crazy story actually...

Rewind to Fall of 2006...

I was sitting on a plane heading home from my brother David and new sister-in-law, Robyn's wedding reception. They had eloped a few months earlier so we all traveled to Denver to celebrate with them. On the way home I had full plans of getting caught up on the school work I had fallen behind on while I was gone. As I was reading my book the cute older man sitting next to me started to chat. He was SO funny and interesting and I had a great conversation with him. We ended up talking the entire 2 hour plane ride. He told me all about his family. His kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. As the stewardess announced that we were going to be landing this cute man asked me if I was dating anyone. At the time I really wasn't so he asked if could set me up with this grandson, Landon. I figured one date was harmless and so gave him my number. A few days later his Grandson Landon called and we went on a date. We hung out a few times after that, but figured out we were just good friends.

Now fast forward to Winter of 2009..

Kenny was hanging out at my house looking through my Facebook. As he scrolled through my friends list he stopped and asked, "How do you know Landon?". I told him I had been on a few dates with him, but hadn't seen him a few years... Shocked he says, "That's my cousin!" I then told him the story of how Landon and I even met... Then he says, "Did that cute man have the last name Budge? Cause if so that's my Grandpa!". We died laughing and couldn't believe the coincidence. A few months later I got to see Grandpa Budge again and he was in just as much shock as me that all these years later I ended up with one of his grandsons! He still to this day LOVES to tell the story and that he always knew I was supposed to be in this family somehow. He sure was right... just a little off on the timing. :) I couldn't be more grateful for the family I married into. I really feel like Heavenly Father blessed me! They truly are the most amazing and inspiring people you will ever meet.


 
Grandma and Grandpa Budge
 
When Kenny and I talk about our college days there are so many times him and I should have met but never did. Kenny used to study with my best friend on campus everyday. I would visit her frequently and she would have study groups at our house. He did all of his banking at the credit union I worked at all through college. We hung out at all the same places when we were both single... I can go on and on... The point is...
 
  It's all about timing people! There are so many opportunities that Kenny and I should have met  before we were with the people we married at one point. But we didn't. I could sit here and ask why... it would have saved so much heart ache for both of us if we had just met first. But then would we have even liked each other? Some of the qualities we most love about each other and that keep us strong as a couple were developed when we've gone through our hard times. And because of how it all happened I'm lucky enough to be a step Mama ("Mimi" or "Kinda Mommy" as Kas calls me) to Kason. Kason is so much of the reason that I want to have my own children... because I love him so much that I can't imagine not expanding that love to a bigger family! I feel so lucky that I get to have him in my life!
 
 
These two are my entire world.
 
 It's just another reminder to me that I am not on my own time table... I am on the Lord's time table. And thank goodness. He knows me better than I know myself.
 
As this opportunity with Pound the Pavement for Parenthood has come I am reminded of that yet again. For the last couple of years as we have been struggling with infertility I have kept asking "Why us? Why can't we have our family now?". But now I have my answer. Because I needed to meet the incredible people involved with PPP. Going through infertility has just been one more thing that has strengthened Kenny and I as a couple. Because I needed to open up to others about our struggles so they could open up about their own. So many doors have been opened. I am sure that as time goes on I will find even more reasons why this is how we get to start our family... but I know that all of it is happening because my Father in Heaven has a plan for me. It is the best way for me. I love him so much and am grateful that he provides the opportunities and trials he does so I can become a better person. 

1 comment:

  1. cute! I don't remember you telling me they were connected even though I remember the story of you going on a date with Landon. How fun!

    ReplyDelete